Hand of the Titans (Old Site)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is your character a Mary Sue?

+4
Nlaea
Cythric
Lokkii
Axilya
8 posters

Go down

Is your character a Mary Sue? Empty Is your character a Mary Sue?

Post  Axilya Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 pm

A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet".

The Mary Sue test!

Last edited by Axilya on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Axilya

http://chufflepuff.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Is your character a Mary Sue? Empty Re: Is your character a Mary Sue?

Post  Axilya Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 pm

And my results:

Axilya is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. She is not at all cool; in fact, she thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when she says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," she means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Axilya, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Axilya is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Liridona got almost exactly the same thing, only she was "only a little like me". Which I hope is incorrect, as I'd like to be thought of as more sane.

Axilya

http://chufflepuff.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lokkii Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:41 am

Lokkii is nothing like you. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's had more than her fair share of hard knocks, and probably spends more time than she ought moaning about it. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Lokkii, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Lokkii is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

This is what Loke got. Which seems pretty true. Especially the shades thing.
Lokkii
Lokkii

Back to top Go down

Post  Cythric Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:50 am

Cythric is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He is not at all cool; in fact, he thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when he says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," he means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's had more than his fair share of hard knocks, and probably spends more time than he ought moaning about it. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Cythric, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Cythric is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

This is what I got on Sol, and I'm quite proud. Very Happy

Cythric

Back to top Go down

Post  Nlaea Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:13 am

Nlaea is nothing like you. She is not at all cool; in fact, she thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when she says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," she means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's had more than her fair share of hard knocks, and probably spends more time than she ought moaning about it. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever she gains, she's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Nlaea, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Nlaea is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Quite pleased with that.

Nlaea

Back to top Go down

Post  Agnatum Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Agnatum is only a little like you. He may be popular, or he may not, but no matter what he's impossible to ignore; he stands out... just the way you always wanted to. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's had a rough life - to say the least! Angst? Histronics? His speciality. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

You may have let yourself get a little too close to Agnatum. Maybe he's you as you wish you were, or maybe you're just afraid no one will like him and are trying to give him a free ride. Have some confidence in your writing! Agnatum is a good character. Give him room to be himself before you stifle him.

My end is different to all of ya'lls x
Agnatum
Agnatum

Back to top Go down

Post  Friye Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Friye is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She always knew she was special, destined for great things - and probably made sure everyone else knew it too. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Friye, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Friye is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Hmm, yes I suppose that that describes poor lil' Friye well enough. I usually make her go through stuff because ... well, I'd rather take out my frustration on her, than on someone else ^^
Friye
Friye

Back to top Go down

Post  Torondal Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:47 pm

My first post, yay Very Happy

Torondal is only a little like you. He may be popular, or he may not, but no matter what he's impossible to ignore; he stands out... just the way you always wanted to. He always knew he was special, destined for great things - and probablyf made sure everyone else knew it too. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Torondal, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Torondal is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Kinda proud.
Torondal
Torondal

Back to top Go down

Post  Roznak Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Roznak is only a little like you. He may be popular, or he may not, but no matter what he's impossible to ignore; he stands out... just the way you always wanted to. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's had more than his fair share of hard knocks, and probably spends more time than he ought moaning about it. And he's gotten no slack from you.

You may have let yourself get a little too close to Roznak. Maybe he's you as you wish you were, or maybe you're just afraid no one will like him and are trying to give him a free ride. Have some confidence in your writing! Roznak is a good character. Give him room to be himself before you stifle him.

This is what I got from Roznak Wink

Roznak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum